Author Topic: Initiating communications - peripheral or central?  (Read 2924 times)

Timmmm

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Initiating communications - peripheral or central?
« on: February 28, 2014, 04:27:16 AM »
Hi,

This is a really basic question about BLE but I can't find the answer anywhere. With the Gazell Link Layer the central/host device is always listening for peripherals. This presumably uses a significant amount of power. Only the peripherals can initiate communication because they  are assumed to be low power, and aren't receiving most of the time (I assume because it uses too much power). If you want the central device to talk to a peripheral out-of-the-blue (for example if you want a remote-controlled light bulb), you have to make the peripheral poll the host, and deal with the latency/battery life trade-off.

That's all with Gazell. How does it work with BLE? Is it only the host that can initiate communications? Because then how do you make a battery-efficient BLE remote control?

Does anyone have any good links?

mkay

• RFduino Team
    • View Profile
Re: Initiating communications - peripheral or central?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:09 AM »
Hi Tim, with BLE, the central device needs to initiate the connection. Once connected, data can be send in either direction.

alexbarkatz

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Initiating communications - peripheral or central?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
I am connected to the the RFDuino via bluetooth but I do not have any data incoming from my RFDuino to the PC. The com port doesn't detect the rfduino incoming. How do I get the comm port to read the RFduino incoming?