Author Topic: iOS & Android ColorWheel Demo using Evothings  (Read 2103 times)

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
iOS & Android ColorWheel Demo using Evothings
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:42:44 PM »
This is an example of using Evothings / Cordova to make a generic App that runs on both iOS and Android.
This demo uses the standard RFduino Colorwheel sketch from the examples folder. It should work with any sketch based on the RGB intensities on the first three bytes of the payload.

The first half of the video is using a iPod Touch. The second half is using a Android Nexus 7 (2013).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9Dle6k4ato" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/P9Dle6k4ato</a>

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:48:33 PM by tolson »

zanthess

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: iOS & Android ColorWheel Demo using Evothings
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »
Very cool!

Any plans on sharing the Evothings files you made? App programming is where I'm severely lacking and would like to tinker.

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »
Hi Zanthess,

The complicated part dealing with BLE and the like is in the Evothings javascript files they provide.
The App itself is done with HTML5 and client side javascript/jquery to get the page looks and feel.

I use the Evothings 1.20 for this project instead of the 2.00 betas for now. So get the Evothings 1.2.

I wanted to use the HTML5 built-in ColorWheel, but unfortunately it isn't consistant across browsers. It is fantastic on Firefox, but lame on iPod (virtually non-existant) and minimal on Nexus. So instead use the HTML5 Canvas to display a custom PNG image. Then just read the color of the pixel at the coordinate where you click. This way you can use whatever picture you want as your color chooser.

I am still working on the project. But you can easily look at the index.html and ColorWheel.js file with any regular browsers page source reader.

zanthess

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 08:12:18 PM »
Awesome, thanks!

I'm currently setting up an RFDuino to control a strip of neopixels inside of the combination cluster gauge of my car. Wanted to make an easier way to change the colors than physically hooking something up.

I'll do some digging around with the info you gave, and will keep an eye out for your progress as well. :)

anything