Author Topic: BLE detection using Rfduino  (Read 1079 times)

ruben_vleuten

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
BLE detection using Rfduino
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
Hi,

For a project I'm looking to build a device that is capable of scanning the surroundings for BLE devices (that are discoverable) and compare them with a database. In this way I want to see what devices are close and in this way keep track of them. It's simple presence/ absence scanning. So not even distance (RSSI). But I should be able to scan for multiple devices at the same time.

Now there are plenty apps capable of detection BLE devices (light blue for instance), but I hope to build something like that with RFduino. Is this possible and if so, how to do this?

Cheers,

R.

bsiever

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
Re: BLE detection using Rfduino
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 11:27:23 AM »
It is not possible with the API provided for the RFduino.

The provided tools make the RFduino act as a Broadcaster.  When not connected broadcasters transmit advertising packets rather than listening for them.  You need something capable of acting like an Observer. 

The hardware used by the RFduino is capable of acting like an observer if you use the Nordic stack directly rather than the RFduino's Arduino-like environment and API.  So the modules may be a good choice for your needs, but you would need to program it using other tools.

Bill

anything