Author Topic: RFduino as a USB host controller ?  (Read 1481 times)

veeru

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
RFduino as a USB host controller ?
« on: March 21, 2015, 07:50:05 AM »
Hello Pundits,
To start off I am a newbie in the world of arduino/rfduino with some C# experience. I have a usb device that sends data via serial com port when connected to the computer. I want to see if I can send this data from the usb device to an iPhone using rfduino (and no computer involved meaning I would need a usb host controller). I know this can be achieved using arduino usb host shield (circuits@home) but that would mean I have to use arduino uno and the form factor would be very large for my application. Is there any way that I can implement the same using RFDuino ?,

-Veeru

VLorz

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
Re: RFduino as a USB host controller ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:28:00 AM »
Veeru,

The Arduino USB host shield utilises Maxim's MAX3421E Usb controller. From my understanding of your post, You have three options here:
1) create one custom board in Arduino Uno form factor containing the RFduino module so it can control and carry the usb host shield.
2) create one custom board in any shape you need and integrate both, the RFduino module, the MAX3421E controller and all other supporting components.
3) create kind of an adapter cable from your RFduino connector to the usb host shield connector (supposing you're using some other RFduino shields too).

The second one seems best for me.

Regards.

anything