Author Topic: Are these relay shields stackable?  (Read 3314 times)

PyroCelt

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Are these relay shields stackable?
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »
Q1: If I stack two of these shields on top of each other (and put them on an RFDuino), is there a way to tell one relay shield to listen to GPIOs other than 0 and 1?  Or is there way to tell the RFDuino to send one command to relay shield #1 and another command to relay shield  #2?

Q2: If there is no way to do this in the code, do you see any problem just clipping the male pins for GPIO 0 and GPIO 1 on the bottom of the relay shield on top of the stack, and then run a short jumper cable from the female plugs on the top of the top relay board from GPIO 0 to GPIO 2, and from GPIO 1 to GPIO 3.  This should make GPIO 0 and GPIO 1 trigger the first shield's relays, and GPIO 2 and GPIO 3 trigger the second shield's relays, right?

Thank you for your help, I am really looking forward to playing with these.

Keeping it lit,
PyroCelt

PS I am not using these for anything too exciting... just triggering giant propane fire balls!

BlockHead

• RFduino Team
    • View Profile
Re: Are these relay shields stackable?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
Q1: If I stack two of these shields on top of each other (and put them on an RFDuino), is there a way to tell one relay shield to listen to GPIOs other than 0 and 1?  Or is there way to tell the RFDuino to send one command to relay shield #1 and another command to relay shield  #2?

If you want to stack the relay shields on top of each other and control each relay independently, then no. The relay shields have relays A and B "hardwired" into GPIO 0 and GPIO 1, respectively on the Dual Relay shield. Schematics can be seen here: http://forum.rfduino.com/index.php?topic=9.0

Q2: If there is no way to do this in the code, do you see any problem just clipping the male pins for GPIO 0 and GPIO 1 on the bottom of the relay shield on top of the stack, and then run a short jumper cable from the female plugs on the top of the top relay board from GPIO 0 to GPIO 2, and from GPIO 1 to GPIO 3.  This should make GPIO 0 and GPIO 1 trigger the first shield's relays, and GPIO 2 and GPIO 3 trigger the second shield's relays, right?

Yes, it is possible to manually wire the relay shields so that they use different GPIOs (i.e. relay shield 1's A on GPIO 0 & B on GPIO 1, relay shield 2's A on GPIO 2 & B on GPIO 3, etc.).  Just make sure to wire 3v and GND on each shield back to the RFduino! There's no need to snip the male header pins if you can have all the relay shields on a breadboard.

PS I am not using these for anything too exciting... just triggering giant propane fire balls!

Nice, can't wait to see this!  :)

PyroCelt

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:10:29 PM »
Awesome, thank you, that is what I figured.  Is there an easy iPhone app I could use for these?  Does anyone know if "Ble for Arduino" works with RFDuino boards?  I have friend who can get more into the APP development side, but that might take a minute, especially since the iOS7 jailbreak is not stable yet.  Does anyone have any experience with any of the other prebuilt iPhone apps for android control over bluetooth?  Since all I need is buttons for turning three separate pins on to trigger the relays (and then trigger the solenoids), I figure there maybe something that can do that already. 

Here is a picture of the poofer, currently it is hard wired to an Arduino Uno, and that sometimes acts in series with other poofers on an xBee network.  I am kind of hoping to transitions to all bluetooth, but we will see.  I have been dying to make at least one poofer iPhone controllable(=  If I can't network control multiple RFDuinos from one iPad (or from one ALSO RFDuino powered control box), I might just have to hook an RFDuino (or just a bluetooth shield, I guess) up to my ARDuino control box.  Currently said control box is a joystick, which wirelessly controls multiple poofers(=

mkay

• RFduino Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
Hi Pyro, the BLE for Arduino app doesn't work with the RFduino. The only free prebuilt app I've used that allows you to read and write data is lightblue, while it doesn't have simple buttons it does allow you to manually write data.

On a side note, it looks like evasi0n7 is out for iOS7.

anything