Author Topic: Just a little info about Sparkfun  (Read 160 times)

Wayne

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Just a little info about Sparkfun
« on: October 17, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »
Hi all,

Sparkfun had a limited supply of RFD77101 a few weeks back.  I needed some to do some demo boards and thought I get 10.
I had 6 boards made and 4  are bad.  Some will report back the PID and all but not program
1 Gets hot and the other is shorted.

These cam package in clear plastic sealed bags that did not look anti static.
Fortunately, I have 3 from Digikey that I can get 3 out of boards repaired.

Tim

• RFduino Sr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little info about Sparkfun
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:42 PM »
Hi Wayne,

We've run into the same issue with an order of 50 Simblees. Out of 50 we got 13 good, the rest bad. (Same non-protective plastic bags.) This is likely due to ESD and/or moisture from to improper packaging. SparkFun are currently investigating and may offer us either replacements or refund. You might call their customer service as they might offer you the same.

How do you assemble? If reflow oven, do you bake Simblees before reflowing? We've found this to be necessary. We starting assembling boards last winter when it's dry here (Alberta, Canada). All was well, then as spring approached (higher humidity), we starting getting more failures. Finally tracked it down to moisture issues. We started baking before reflow and our failure rate went to zero. DigiKey and Mouser use proper packaging but they label Simblee as MSL 3. I called RF Digital about this and they say it's MSL 6, which means mandatory baking before reflowing.

Anyway, hope helpful.

Best,

Tim

simonem

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
Wow how this is not mentioned on the datasheet?
How long need to be baked and at what temperature?

Thanks
Simone

Wayne

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »
Hi Tim,

All the parts from Digikey we had no issues with the parts.  Here in Salt Lake City, Humidity is very low..All the time.  The failure so far was 4 out of 6.  Have 4 in bags.. I have contacted Sparkfun about the issue with plastic bags used for shipping.
I would think Sparkfun be up of Static procedures.

Tim

• RFduino Sr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »
Yeah, it's unfortunate that Simblee's MSL classification has not been properly documented/communicated for both distributors and customers. We've wasted a lot of chips/money due to this issue. The data sheet still says MSL: TBD, and DigiKey and Mouser label as MSL 3, not 6.

We typically bake at 125°C for 10 hours, then reflow within a couple hours. The recommendation from RF Digital is 125°C for 8-12 hours, then reflow within 6 hours.

It is rather unfortunate that SparkFun has been mishandling Simblees. From posts here, it's appears clear that their non-protective packaging is indeed the cause of so many failures. Simblee is very sensitive.

Hope all will be resolved very soon. And hoping for new supply to flow through DigiKey and Mouser much sooner than current estimates (10-14 weeks).

Thanks,

Tim

Wayne

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »
Well Simply put, we need Simblee's at DigiKey and Mouser...  And fast..  Now it is holding up the last of my demo boards.. ugh

anything