Author Topic: bad Simblee batch?  (Read 235 times)

Tim

• RFduino Sr. Member
    • View Profile
bad Simblee batch?
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
Hi ..

Trying to explain why we're getting a high failure rate on assembling our boards. We recently ordered from Mouser and received 30 Simblees packaged as in photo, which means someone handled them to take from factory packaging and place on foam. Also found a label on the anti-static bag containing the Mouser order that have never seen before (see attached photo). Wondering about possible ESD events during handling and shipping that damaged chips. Previously all Simblees came from DigiKey and in original factory packaging and we had a much higher success rate. Wondering if anyone has had issues with Simblees arriving defected from different suppliers.

Appreciate any thoughts, experience.

Tim
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:10:08 PM by Tim »

Wayne

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: bad Simblee batch?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 06:08:10 AM »
Mouser slipping?

Sorry you are having issues.  We normally deal with Digikey and they use double protection.
I see that the 2 Simblees are different in color. 

I'm still in development so not ready for prototype as of yet, but a few more weeks down the line I will be.

Tim

• RFduino Sr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
We'll be receiving more Simblees from DigiKey tomorrow and will be assembling. Results will be revealing. I also noticed different colour, but that could be because of rework. These are chips that were removed from boards after failure.

We recently ordered from Mouser because they were $3 cheaper. It could be coincidental that we started having assembly issues with this batch. Will post more here as we learn.

Thanks!

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 03:08:22 PM »
Hi Tim,
I am curious if that second line of text on the part is a lot number or a revsision number.

On my 77203 board the part says
RFD77101 Simblee
1531CAAA
The  3rd  and 4th line are blank.
Last line is MODEL:R71
(Perhaps these were pre-certified parts.

The parts I got from Arrow say...
RFD77101 Simblee
1547DAAA
IC: 6992A-71
FCC ID: UY171

So, I wonder if the IC: number is the CE cert number.
What do you have for markings?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:25:01 PM by tolson »

wookie1

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
The IC number is for Industry Canada certification, which is similar to the FCC in the US.

anything