Author Topic: Simblee Preserve Flash Content when uploading new hex file  (Read 590 times)

deonsmt

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Simblee Preserve Flash Content when uploading new hex file
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:31:19 AM »
Hi,
Is there a way to preserve flash page 251 on a Simblee device when loading new code? I have a number of system calibration values that get stored in page 251 that get wiped every time I need to update firmware. I would like to prevent this from happening. I am using the Arduino IDE to program the Simblee modules

Thanks
Deon

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
Re: Simblee Preserve Flash Content when uploading new hex file
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:06 AM »
I've asked RF Digital a similar question.. Is there ANY Flash Page preserved. The answer is NADA(not at this time)!
So until they come up with a fix, I have to use external small I2C FRAM memory. Could use external FLASH, but I like FRAM.
I suspect a change to the boot loader will be needed to always preserve 1 page before the actual user space.

deonsmt

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:00:30 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I have 50 boards manufactured without external FLASH/FRAM. My current workaround is to download the parameters, update firmware and then upload the parameters after the flash update. This gets old fast! The next revision will include the external flash or fram as you suggested.

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
I forgot, they also touted to upload your settings to the cloud and bring them back after the update.

Most of my projects don't expect to have any cloud based access. So FRAM it is.

I guess you could write a script that downloads your data does the update and recovers the data from local devices, but I haven't tried it.

deonsmt

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 06:22:29 AM »
My devices are not cloud connected so I have a bluetooth app that downloads all the settings, then I update firmware, then I reload settings. Reading this sentence doesn't sound too bad but if you forget to download the settings.... things go badly wrong for me! At some point I could figure a way to automate this but it would be way easier if I could modify the programmer exe not to clean the entire flash before programming.

My next PCB revision will make things easier  ;D

anything