Author Topic: Modifying iPhone App  (Read 978 times)

gbtjom

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Modifying iPhone App
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:39:34 AM »
Hello

What is the quickest way to modify the iPhone/iPad app that reads the temperature?  I can just use the app as given for NOW but it is possible to get the original files and do a mod?  If so, what is the best IDE/language tool to use?  I know nothing about programming for iPhones so without an already designed app I wouldn't know how to even start.

The reason I'd like to change the app is that I'm now doing moisture readings and I'd like the app to reflect that.  Also the readout on my iPad doesn't allow enough characters to show which sensor I'm reading...it is supposed to show 15 characters...or so I thought.

Anyway...thanks for any input.

jom

bsiever

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying iPhone App
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:51:03 AM »
The Source for many of the iOS example apps for the RFduino and Simblee is included in the installation.  You may have to browse around a bit to find them (On my OSX machine they are in: "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/portable/packages/Simblee/hardware/Simblee/1.0.0/iPhone Apps").

The iOS Apps require Xcode (free) to build them.  I think they are all written in Objective-C. If you haven't worked with it before there's a bit of a learning curve.  I suspect you can find some apps written in Swift either on this forum or via GitHub that may be a better place to get started with app development.

Bill

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
Re: Modifying iPhone App
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:05:05 AM »
Are you using RFduino or SImblee?

Either way, writing APPS for IOS, and even Android, has an extreme learning curve if you are just starting to learn programming.

If you are using the Simblee and just want to do APPS that use simplistic widgets like used to make a thermometer,
buttons, sliders, etc, then SimbleeForMobile will keep you from having to learn xcode or java. Currently, the downside of using SimbleeForMobile is we are all WAITING for Android support. So iOS only  for now.

If you find it easier to learn HTML5, CSS3, and Javascript, then perhaps Evothings will work for you. The APPS you create with it will work on both iStuff and Android stuff. But the APP will reside on remote file server instead of in your peripheral.

anything