Author Topic: Simblee sketches compile but won't upload  (Read 1537 times)

cpclaser

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Simblee sketches compile but won't upload
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
I'm using Win7 with Arduino 1.6.5 and Simblee 1.02.  I've carefully followed the Quickstart directions to install the  Simblee board in the Arduino IDE and now I've tried uploading several Simblee and Arduino examples to a Simblee R445 board with the R401 USB interface.  Everything complies, but when I try to upload I always get the same messages:

'"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\portable\packages\Simblee\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
'"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\portable\packages\Simblee\hardware\Simblee\1.0.2/"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

The paths point to existing folders, but the compiler seems to expect something else.  I must be missing something simple. Anyone have any suggestions?

cpclaser

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Simblee sketches compile but won't upload
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:35 PM »
Recently ran across the Dec 15 post "Simblee- compile error" by ivo that reports the same problem.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Arduino 1.6.5 as suggested by cannonball2134.  I noticed after the Arduino reinstallation that the Simblee board v1.0  was already installed without going through the process described in the Simblee Quickstart.  There was no C:/....../Arduino/ portable folder, but all Simblee examples were available and could be uploaded.  I found that all of the Simblee files were located at C:/.....Users/AppData/Roaming/Arduino15.  Not sure what happened here.  At least something is working now.  Any insights would be very welcome.

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 05:58:18 PM »
If you don't manually create the portable directory, the Arduino stores all versions and 3rd party board stuff in the arduino15 folder in the user directory. Doing so causes conflicts between versions. Using the portable folder lets it keep 3rd party stuff separate.

Anyways, if you are going through the trouble to blow away Arduino IDE then install 1.6.7. Create the portable folder in that. And then use the RFduino and/or Simblee JSON file to install those. Be sure to use the JSON file that contains 166 in its name. It is mentioned else where resolvong other people problems.

cpclaser

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 09:09:09 AM »
tolson, I liked your suggestion of going to 1.6.7, so I removed 1.6.5 and installed 1.6.7.  I also went through the User\AppData directories and removed any file that resembled anything like those normally installed in the "portable" folder. 

For the 1.6.7 installation, I followed the Simblee Quick Start instructions explicitly,  installing 1.6.7 by extracting from the .zip download,  manually adding a "portable" folder, putting the "https://www.simblee.com/package_simblee166_index.json" link in the preferences file, and loading the board (v1.0.2) with the Boards Manager.  At the end of the process, I saw that all of the usual files were now in the "portable" folder and there was nothing in the arduino15 folder in ....Users\AppData.  But, when I tried to run the Simblee Blink example, it compiled then gave exactly the same errors as before during uploading.

So...I tried some experiments.   I deleted the contents of the "portable" folder and installed board version 1.0.1 using the Boards Manager.  Same errors except "C:\...............Simblee\1.0.2" was replaced by "C:\............Simblee\1.0.1".  Then I installed Arduino 1.6.7 on an old WinXP machine and went through the same steps above.  I get exactly the same errors on that machine also. 

It seems like I'm either systematically doing something wrong, or there is a bug in one of the files used during upload.  The error messages make me think about formatting problems in strings used to generate file paths.

I should also mention that the fix suggested in ivo's earlier thread doesn't work for me here.