Author Topic: Android Studio example complimenting RFduino examples.  (Read 2451 times)

osenjw

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Android Studio example complimenting RFduino examples.
« on: January 09, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »
Android extensions are no longer supported by eclipse, per the eclipse web page.  Android developers are being directed to Android Studio.

Is there an entry level Android Studio example for RFduino?   If so, would the location be posted here.

A multi-page instruction for converting eclipse projects to Android Studio project can be found.  For a newcomer to both android and  BLE issues, it is a intimidating climb.

I would be most interested in in and Android app that compliments the RFduino examples.

osenjw

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Android Studio example complimenting RFduino examples.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 08:44:25 PM »
So I did finally get a version of the RGB Android working.  Many parts were needed.

Another post on this forum provided an Eclipse project: "ColorWheel Android sample App".  Luckily, I know SVN, so it was easy to retrieve it.  Thanks to that author, dariosalvi, for his work.

I bought the book "Android Application Development for Dummies: All in One" (AADD).  It helped.

Android Studio imports the eclipse project from the File menu.

My Intel I3 with 4GB RAM meets the system requirements, but the default ADB would not load.  (AADD advises trying multiple times.  I quit after three times.)

I downloaded the Genymotion debugger.  After a few attempts it loaded.

There were more than a few edits to the project to get it to work.  The one I remember most was deleting what looked like the android() function from build.gradle.  I also had to specify Android API 19, rather than the one actually on my target device.

I had another process called EasyTether running that would cause the USB link to try to give my computer web access.  I had to remove that.

AADD helped in more than a few places.  One was repeating that some of these components have to be started more than once before success, as some are rather cranky.  But I found that launching the Genymotion virtual box, walking away for minutes, then launching Android Studio, then walking away for another few minutes, generally ends up with a virtual device that runs.

After programming RFduino easily from either Arduino IDE or VisualMicro (an awesome extension to Visual Studio that is quirky, but gets the job done.  It even gives breakpoints.),  the many hours it took to get Android Studio running was startling.  The fact that Android Studio can take several minutes to boot was a surprise as well.

If I can figure out where this project and all components are, I will post with zipped attachment.

osenjw

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 06:56:28 PM »
This is the code.

OR not, system will not confirm the attachment.

cduguet

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
Hello!

Can you please share your code on Github?

Thanks!

C

rob40855

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:24 AM »
Hello everyone,

Im an engineer and want to play with the simblee.  Just got my breakout board in the mail got a program on it.  It works.  Now for the fun things I want to do but I have android and there is no android app yet. 

Can someone tell me where to get started in making my own android app specifically for this.  I have programmed for years just not ever an app for IOS or android.  If anyone has one working that wants to share that would be good too especially if its well commented so I can learn how it works or edit it.   Im hoping to do kinda what they did where it loads the app from the simblee.  So like a light weight app that shows any simblee devices and when clicked on it loads the app from the simblee. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (feel free to email me)

Thanks,
  Robert

duffo64

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 12:13:35 PM »
You cross-posted three times in a row...

rob40855

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 12:34:09 PM »
Im hoping at least someone who can point me in the right direction will see it and any help im sure will be helpful to anyone wanting to get set up.

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »
We've only been waiting two years for some one to give a really good example tutorial on using Android tools to get a custom RFduino APP done. There is a couple old example Android apps if you want to figure out what they did. For now I've been using Evothings to experiment making Apps that work on both Android and iOS without having to know JAVA, xcode, etc. Using Evothings all you need to know is html5, css3, and javascript. But, ultimately, your Evothings App will need to be compiled via Cordova to get real iOS and Android APP. The experimenting phase is far easier with Evothings.

Making an APP using the 'Simblee For Mobile' feature concept will require waiting on RF Digital to release the Android Simblee master APP.  Hopefully soon!

anything