Author Topic: Exploring inside of the Simblee  (Read 146 times)

cat

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Exploring inside of the Simblee
« on: January 23, 2018, 02:49:01 AM »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has tried to remove the casing of Simblee and see what is inside it? Just like RFduino, if you remove the metallic cover you can see NRF51822, crystal oscillator and some capacitors.
Also is it possible to remove Simblee's casing without damaging internal components?

Thanks.

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
Re: Exploring inside of the Simblee
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:36:27 AM »
It is not a lid like on the previous part. It is molded. So unless you are adept and trained at the art of reverse semiconductor engineering it will be challenging.  What you will find is the die version of the Nordic part. Two crystals, a smaller chip antenna and misc. passives. A pretty impressive hybrid package engineering feat.

cat

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:03:44 AM »
Ok. Actually, I have a big chunk of RFduino with me but I want the DFU (OTA) thing, which Simblee has. I believe that the components are same in both Simblee and RFdino as NRF51822, passive components etc. So, is it possible to make DFU work in RFduino as well?

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 06:03:55 PM »
The DFU is in firmware. The RFduino uses generation 1 silicon of the Nordic part. Simblee uses generation 3 of
the Nordic part. They are both nRF51822 but the 3rd generation silicon as a few port peripherals etc.

As far as if DFU is tied to any generation hardware, you will have to ask Nordic. It is the Nordic DFU every so slightly modified to hide it in RFdigital code placement and we the people are not privy to where that is.

I think the issue will be that the Nordic libraries that are used in RFduino are not being updated for the old hardware or visa versa.