Author Topic: Do the RFduino libraries support multiple custom services or characteristics ?  (Read 2037 times)

mmensinger

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Is the device capable of supporting multiple services with "read" characteristics?
-OR-
Is the device capable of customizing the read characteristics of a single service?

I have been successful in assigning a custom UUID service to the RFduino and have it generate the template characteristics: xxx0 Service, xxx1 Read, xxx2 Write, xxx3 Close.
•   Is this initialization configurable?
•   Can I add additional services that can generate this template of characteristics?
•   Can I add more characteristics when defining a service UUID?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I'm asking the wrong question, or perhaps someone has another suggestion on how to broadcast additional values using the BLE architecture.

Regards,
Mike Jr.

bsiever

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
Is the device capable of supporting multiple services with "read" characteristics?
-OR-
Is the device capable of customizing the read characteristics of a single service?

Neither is possible with the current RFduino API. The hardware itself is certainly capable of both/either if you use the Nordic APIs.

That being said, comparable functionality can be achieved to some degree with tags on the available read/write characteristics. For example, you can use the initial byte to indicate the "type" of message being sent/received. Based on that byte the remainder of the data can be decoded as appropriate.

I posted a simple example (for primitive authentication) in another post: http://forum.rfduino.com/index.php?topic=707.msg2582#msg2582.

Bill