Author Topic: BLE proximity, watching for multiple devices?  (Read 6307 times)

zonker

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
BLE proximity, watching for multiple devices?
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
What I'd like to to is use the RFduino to listen for the bluetooth addresses for multiple phones, and then use SPI to indicate presence of the devices.  Is there a way to simply report/read the addresses of beacons currently heard?

The second application would be to make a "beacon detector"... listen for new beacons, and report them to an LCD display. As stores are doing more "hyper-local" beaconing, and looking for my cell phone as I wander nearby, I want to be able to look for them as well.

I don't see a good way to do either of these in the examples, but I'm hoping some of you with more clues about BLE might chime in.

-Z-

mkay

• RFduino Team
    • View Profile
Re: BLE proximity, watching for multiple devices?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
Hi, the RFduino is a BLE peripheral, so it can only connect to a central device (iOS, PC, Mac etc). Also the central device must initiate the connection. So you won't be able to use BLE to sniff out other BLE devices using the RFduino, at least not for now. We do have some cool stuff we are working on though and may be able to support something like this in the future.

DonGar

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 05:32:02 PM »
Triggering proximity behaviors is exactly what I originally purchased an RFduino for.

In fact, I originally assumed I could pair a phone with it, and also use that to trigger behaviors on the phone (using Tasker on Arduino), even if there were other software stack issues.

Edtharan

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:20:48 AM »
I have been playing around with a proximity detection with the RFDuino using the GZLL library (http://forum.rfduino.com/index.php?topic=358.0).

For this I set up the "Detectors" as the Host device type and the "Eggs" (Transmitter) as the Device# device type. The Eggs periodically send a blank message to any hosts in the area (security is not an issue with this application). The Hosts then accumulate these messages over a period of time and average the result to get a stable signal strength.

I use this averaged signal strength to change the colour of the LED to indicate to the user using the Detector how far away the nearest Egg device is.

dimesio

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:58:37 AM »
I dont see any reason why you couldn't setup a central hub to take care of all communication between the RFduinos. I understand that a mesh topology would be desirable, but remember these devices are very tiny and not meant to do the heavy lifting. Think of them as tags more than itty bitty computers. Sure they have the resources to do some computing but the point is to be able to create a sensor that will last for years that you can use with your phone or any number of other devices.

Also, since the central hub has to initiate a connection, you could create an app that runs as a service and intermittently seeks out your configured RFDuinos from your phone and use that for proximity checking. This weekend I plan to see what I can derive just using the signal strength values from several RFDs to echo-locate my phone. You dont even need to setup a connection to the RFD for that. :)

kteza1

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 01:10:36 AM »
Is this supported yet so that I can detect other 3rd party beacons with Rfduino.

Walternate

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:05:54 AM »
Do we have an update on this?   Receiving beacon advertisements is a very useful feature.  Is this available through other methods e.g. gutting arduino and using the native nordic load?  A year ago this was:

"We do have some cool stuff we are working on though and may be able to support something like this in the future."

...any progress? Whom do I need to bribe (and  how much?)

Or can you recommend another chipset that is low-power/arduino and can act as a BLE central device/beacon?

Thanks

tgterra

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
Any progress?

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 11:30:48 PM »
I think the cool stuff they were talking about is what has become the Simblee. Not sure all cool stuff is supported or not yet.

anything