Author Topic: RFduino - Using Nordic SDK - Low level access to the silicon  (Read 26480 times)

mkay

• RFduino Team
    • View Profile
RFduino - Using Nordic SDK - Low level access to the silicon
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:19:13 PM »
Hi Everyone, we have created a video to show you in detail on how to get started with the Nordic SDK and RFduino. This is only for those who have special needs that require low level access to the silicon. Please note after erasing the RFduino, you will no longer be able to use the Arduino IDE.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FMdcDRUT45g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FMdcDRUT45g</a>

MrQuincle

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: RFduino - Using Nordic SDK - Low level access to the silicon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:56:47 AM »
Thanks a lot. With respect to those tools, there are many other options too of course. See e.g. https://github.com/finnurtorfa/nrf51 who uses the CodeSourcery (taken over by Mentor Graphics) and indeed JLink from Seger. Perhaps it's a nice idea to write down the different pin layout, changes to the pullups, etc. from the movie here?

pedson

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 07:01:22 AM »
This basically tells us to treat RFduino as a modified eval board and stop being a 'duino.  I hope this isn't what was meant by post http://forum.rfduino.com/index.php?topic=254.0.

Why is there such a bottleneck on simply releasing the source for libRFduinoBLE.a...

esanchez

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:23:43 AM »
Where can I purchase the Segger interface shield that was shown in the video?

mkay

• RFduino Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
The Segger J-Link Lite interface comes with the Nordic development kits. You can also use the full size Segger J-Link which you can buy by itself.

joshmarinacci

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »
This is pretty cool.  I have two questions:

1) why can't we reflash the RFduino's back to their original state? Could we get a hex file for the standard RFDuino firmware?

2) Has anyone used this method to create an iBeacon or ANCS project?  Judging from the Nordic help forums it should be possible to do ANCS using the chip inside the RFDuino.

thx.

- Josh

mkay

• RFduino Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
Hi, sorry the RFduino bootloader is not available for download.

esanchez

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
The Segger J-Link Lite interface comes with the Nordic development kits. You can also use the full size Segger J-Link which you can buy by itself.

Hi.  Yes, I have the Segger J-Link Lite.  I'm looking for the Interface Shield so that I can hook it up to the RFDuino.  It's not listed on the RFDuino website.

sfr

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 06:03:11 PM »
bump on the question about the segger programming shield.

Also, I'm curious whether it would be possible to flash the code through the rfduino bootloader? It seems like it should be possible to compile a custom app with the nordic SoftDevices, etc. but then flash it with the bootloader over serial. I suppose the limitations would be that you'd need to use the same compiler as the rfduino IDE and maybe futz with the linker settings to make sure things get offset correctly.

-s

anlumo

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 03:10:28 PM »
The Nordic web site requires a product key to download the nRF518-SDK required for this procedure. What should I enter there?

Cez

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
Is there any way to get my code I wrote for RFduino running on a standard nrf51822 for mass production?

What kinds of modifications would I need to make? Or do I need to completely start over using the Nordic SDK?

anlumo

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
Is there any way to get my code I wrote for RFduino running on a standard nrf51822 for mass production?

It seems that the RFD22301 you can buy from Mouser comes with the Arduino bootloader installed (at least that's what the datasheet there says), so you should be able to load the same code onto this board that's mountable on a regular PCB.

Cez

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 03:13:55 AM »
It seems that the RFD22301 you can buy from Mouser comes with the Arduino bootloader installed (at least that's what the datasheet there says), so you should be able to load the same code onto this board that's mountable on a regular PCB.

The RFD22301 is what I was planning on using at first, but look at this:
http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=47970

The nrf51822 without the bootloader is much cheaper, which is great because we are on a tight budget. We need to mass produce thousands of these.
So I'm looking for any kind of help getting my code running on the cheaper module. It's looking like I'll have to either port all my code over and stop using RFduino altogether, or just use the more expensive RFD22301. Just wondering if there is an easier way.

kazhugu

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
Cez: That's not a module you are looking at, but the BLE+uC SoC device from Nordic Semi (BLE / 2.4GHz RF SoC 48-pin 6x6mm QFN Package). Which means you will need to do the board design & get the FCC/CE certification. With the RFD module, you can avoid all that effort.

Cez

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 02:35:35 AM »
Cez: That's not a module you are looking at, but the BLE+uC SoC device from Nordic Semi (BLE / 2.4GHz RF SoC 48-pin 6x6mm QFN Package). Which means you will need to do the board design & get the FCC/CE certification. With the RFD module, you can avoid all that effort.

I see, thanks. I am still new to this. I was asked to look for a different module because the RFD22301 is too expensive, but it's not quite out of the running yet. Board design and certification shouldn't be a problem for us; we're focusing on cost-effectiveness for now.
Another option would be to use something like the nrf8001 controlled by a separate Arduino-compatible MCU, which would cut the cost by half.