Author Topic: Excessive import fees to UK  (Read 2730 times)

Phantomski

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Excessive import fees to UK
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:57:43 AM »

rodrigozanatta

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Excessive import fees to UK
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:28:34 PM »
lol!! I really laughing about you!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

You say you need to pay "only" one third in taxes!

I am in Brazil. If I buy things that cost more than 50 USD, I will need to pay 60% in taxes! Yes, more than it, EVERYTHING have a overprice of 60% (the price is the sum of products + mail than you apply this taxes ). And, if I use DHL or Fedex, there are more 17% in taxes! Sometimes, there are more "surprises things"to pay!

Welcome to Brazil! You just need pay about 30%! Not a big deal!!!! :'( :'(

But sometimes, if I have lucky,  I don't need pay anything more! But it is rare! And I need to buy uncommon things (and hardware like this rfduino is one), from some countries (China is not one of then) and use the most slow way to send!

Timmmm

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: Excessive import fees to UK
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 05:45:47 AM »
This is completely standard and to be expected. It is actually the other Kickstarter that skirted the law by not declaring the customs value correctly. It's common to not do so but it is actually illegal.

I agree it sucks though. Especially the "handling fee" (yeah right). Supposedly you can avoid it:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/181183-importing-the-parcelfarce-handling-charge-and-how-to-avoid/

http://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/how-declare-goods-when-importing-post

TL;DR, RFDigital have to write "Goods to be custom cleared by the importer" on the customs declaration. If I decide to order (might not because of the whole "not really open source" thing), then I will try it and let you know how it works.

anything