Author Topic: SimbleeBLE vs SimbleeForMobile  (Read 1085 times)

danlsk

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
SimbleeBLE vs SimbleeForMobile
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
I am trying to understand the difference of SimbleeBLE vs SimbleeForMobile.
Is my understanding below correct?

SimbleeForMobile.h :
-Use RFDigital Made IOS APP SimbleeForMobile
-UI programming in Arduino Sketch
-cross platform UI for IOS & Andriod
-Very rapid prototyping

SimbleeBLE.h:
-Customize own IOS App
-Access to more IOS UI and Phone IO capability : Camera etc..
-IOS device only and require IOS maintenance
-Examples: C:\Users\userxxx_000\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Simblee\hardware\Simblee\1.0.0\iPhone Apps
-More development work because of compilation for both Xcode and Arduino Sketch.

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
Re: SimbleeBLE vs SimbleeForMobile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »
Pretty much right.

Simblee For Mobile uses SimbleeForMobile APP available on iOS and Android stores.

For SimbleeBLE you write your own custom iOS app using Apple tools.
You can also write your own custom Android app using Android tools.
While there is a few demo apps on the iOS store, I don't think there is any equivalent ones on Android still.
You can write your own APP using either/or both iOS and Android, but there is no support provided.
You can also use Evothings to develop iOS and Android APPs using HTML5 and JS. See their site for examples.

danlsk

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:31:46 PM »
Thanks, for mentioning Evothings. I was playing with Evothings on other platforms and saw the Evothings for RFduino a while ago. I never thought it could work with Simblee as Simblee seems to pitch the idea of eliminating IOS/Andriod developments. Hence, I always thought the Simblee app always lock down the device from customizing your own mobile app. Until I read the Sparkfun document on SimbleeBLE, I just realize the potential of Simblee has yet to unleashed. Simblee platform opens up to very wide range of users : from hobbyist Arduino C/C++ programmer only to professional Html, Javascript, Android, IOS programmers. Will definitely try Evothings out for Simblee!!

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »

Evothings, as far as I know at this time doesn't support the Simblee For Mobile feature set. But Simblee can use the RFduino UUID using the customeID settings, so as far as Evothings goes it would use the RFduino tools they provide. You would loose the Simblee For Mobile capability. I have a few notes on the differences here...
http://thomasolson.com/PROJECTS/BLE/Simblee/

danlsk

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 10:24:46 PM »
I got both RFduinoBLE (RFduino module) and SimbleeBLE (Simblee module) working with Evothings example LED On/Off.  Yes, Simblee can go beyond its Sketch native UI.

I have posted a guide in Hackster.io.
https://www.hackster.io/danlsk/unleash-simblee-ui-with-customized-mobile-app-d5195a
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:52:13 AM by danlsk »