Author Topic: SOLVED: Timeout reading from UART fail...fail...fail...  (Read 3493 times)

andrew76092

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
SOLVED: Timeout reading from UART fail...fail...fail...
« on: March 10, 2016, 12:49:36 PM »
Hello - I’m attempting to use my modules for the first time by running a Blink example.  When uploading through the USB module to the RGB module, I receive an error, “timeout reading from UART    fail....fail....fail....”.

- The Arduino IDE recognizes the board and port
- It verifies as good
- Everything is updated
- I have the USB connected directly to my Macbook with the RGB shield on top

If anyone has assistance they can provide, I would be grateful!  Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 01:45:31 PM by andrew76092 »

andrew76092

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED: Timeout reading from UART fail...fail...fail...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
If you are receiving a “Timeout reading from UART    fail....fail.....fail....” response while uploading, please find this as a solution....at least it worked for me! 

Reference the following:
22102 = BLE Shield
22121 = USB Shield
22122 = RGB Shield

I was attempting to run my sketch to 22121 to have it run 22122.  After contacting support, I learned that 22102 is the “brain” of the RFDuino suite and must be connected first, the shields integrate on top (or bottom) of 22101.  Additionally, 22121 is used to program 22102 and provide power, if needed, to the other shields. There is another shield (22126) that can provide DC power via 2 AAA batteries. 

In my example, I wanted to run a simple Blink program to my 22122.  To make this work, I took 22121 and put both 22102 and 22122 on top of it.  From there, I selected my board and port, used the Blink example and uploaded.  It works like a charm!  See the photo attached (from top to bottom, the boards are 22122, 22102, 22121).

palmerj

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
Andrew
Funny thing, over the weekend I had exactly the same problem.  I've been using an RFD22124 with an RFD22102 stacked on top.  It was connected to my PC with a standard USB 2.0 A to B cable with a little B socket to A socket adaptor, plugged into the RFD22124.
It has worked flawlessly for 2 weeks, until the weekend.  Then suddenly UART time out  fail... fail... fail...
If I plug the RFD22124 direct into my PC it works, swap in a new USB cable with the original one still using the USB adaptor fail!
When I plug the RFD22124 with any combination of cable and adaptor into the PC you still get the du-dum showing the PC is seeing the FTDI adaptor.
I've got a new USB A to USB A cable on order for tomorrow.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Jools

TitaniumBlue

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 08:05:06 AM »
I had a similar problem testing a very simple code.
I connected a motor to gnd and GPio 1, on the led board.
The 3 shields are connected directly in the powerbook USB port.
I am getting error code" timeout UART..."

After looking at this thread, I removed the LED shield, loaded the code without problems using the USB and Simble BLE shields.
Then I connected the LED shield where the motor is hooked, and it works fine.

After verification, I see that people always use a transistor to shield the motor from the board. I am aware one reason is to avert putting too much current thru the Simblee, but there may be an other reason, given the inductance property of the motor...(or EMF)