Author Topic: RFduino port not showing  (Read 1366 times)

Oryano

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
RFduino port not showing
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:03:02 AM »
Hi all,
Iv been using RFduino for a while and didn't have this problem - the RFduino port was showing fine in the tools menu of the arduino program.
I tried restarting, resetting, uninstalling the board and reinstalling, I installed FTDI drivers but nothing is changed. I can see my Uno when I plug it. I tried different RFduinos but cannot see the port of them.

Im using a newer macbookPro 13" with el capitan 10.11.3.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:17:32 AM by Oryano »

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
Re: RFduino port not showing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 03:23:25 PM »
Hi Oryano,

Let me see if I got this right.
You had it working OK on a different computer. A MAC?
Then you got the new computer, a MAC, and can't get it to recognize the RFduino serial port.

What version of Arduino IDE and which RFduino version?

Oryano

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Im using Arduino 1.6.7
My computer is always the same MAC... I tested the same RFduino on another computer and it worked. So I believe something is wrong with the drivers on my computer.
It recognized the RFduino port at the beginning, but then, after about a week it didn't recognize it anymore. I tried installing FTDI drivers and uninstalling them but the problem persist.

Thank you for your help!

AutoDog

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »
I'm having the same problem.

I've been using Arduino IDE 1.6.6 with the RFD22102+RDF22121 on my Mac reliably for at least 6 months. That all changed when I upgraded OSX to El Capitan (v10.11.4).

Ever since then, the FTDI port will disappear from the Arduino IDE. Not 100% of the time, but probably 80% of the time. Sometimes rebooting helps, but not a sure-fire fix.

-AD

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:35:55 PM »
Has anybody figured out if this is a MAC FTDI driver problem yet? Seems answer should be on FTDI or MAC forums somewhere. Are other Arduino / MAC users having issues on other Aruino forums? I don't have a MAC that can be upgrdated to your versions of iOS.

AutoDog

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:26:11 PM »
I believed I solved it... at least for my installation.

I originally I installed the Arduino 1.6.6 IDE about a year ago when my Mac was running and older version of OSX (10.9?). No problems. About six months ago I added RFduino support including the FTDI VCP driver as recommend by RFdunio - again, no problems.

When I upgraded to El Capitan that's when my FTDI issues arose. Turns out if you RTFM you will find answers - in this case the fine manual in question is the FTDI Mac Drivers Installation Guide:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_134_FTDI_Drivers_Installation_Guide_for_MAC_OSX.pdf

In Section 3.2 of the guide, they state "Starting with 10.11 (El Capitan), Apple's own driver seems to be sufficiently comprehensive that many customers will not need to install FTDI's own VCP". This is all true, but if you upgraded your OS like me, it turns out that the FTDI VCP driver I installed for OSX 10.9 was still present even after the El Capitan upgrade.

The solution: Uninstall the FTDI VCP driver so that OSX will use the default Apple driver. To uninstall, follow the instructions in Section 4.2 of the FTDI guide. You may need root permissions to do this - Google that if you don't already have this.

Hope this helps others.

To the RFdunio team: Please update your installation docs / Github readme accordingly to prevent new El Capitan users from installing the FTDI VCP driver.

-AD