Author Topic: GaZeLL more than 8 devices  (Read 1350 times)

swK

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
GaZeLL more than 8 devices
« on: October 18, 2015, 03:40:59 AM »
Hello all,
so I'm quite new and trying to understand how things work. I have messed a litte around with basic GaZeLL 1-1 communication (I only have 2 devices atm). If I understand cerrectly (please correct me if I don't) a Host is able to create at most 8 "connections", where a connection is a continuous stream of data exchange between the host itself and a device.

Now, in the basc examples there is no connection estabilishment, just device(s) which on requesta broadcast small packets which can contain small amount of user-data (besides protocol data), and which the always-listening-Host can read.

It seems to me that at this level, without establishing connections, there should be no limit to the number of devices a Host can listen to, so for exemple it should be possible (and easy) to have a Host device blink a LED anytime any of 30 devices send a GaZeLL, and know the id of the sender.

Am I correct? Am I missing something? Would it be possible for the Host to send an acknowledged packet in response, carring small user-data, and still not initiate a connection?

Do I understand corectly that this would be very similar to broadcasting with BLE protocol (which allows a response without creating a connection), except BLE would normally be user between a RFDuino device and say, a phone or computer?

Thaks for any help :)

ya

• RFduino Jr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: GaZeLL more than 8 devices
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
You are right - there is not limit on number of devices connected.
8 devices - limit for transmission pipes. If you have more than 8 devices connected to the host you will have some devices sharing one transmission pipe - may cause interference.
You can arrange so that devices are reporting at different times to avoid interference between them.
You also can have devices report custom device ID along with the data to distinguish data coming from different devices.

anything