Author Topic: RFDuino with external antenna  (Read 2103 times)

VLorz

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
RFDuino with external antenna
« on: July 15, 2015, 03:59:31 AM »
Hi All,

Has anyone used the RFDuino with an external antenna? Any recommendations about the antenna model/provider/etc.?

Thanks a lot in advance.

GunnarRacing

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: RFDuino with external antenna
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »
I've been meaning to expiriment with a 6 cm straight wire, not sure where best to solder  due to matchingredients network. Would be replacing chip antenna. I have quite a few RFDuinos, so I could  afford  to sacrifice one. Need to remember to set TX power low as it will certainly be less than perfectly matched.

VLorz

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 02:45:36 AM »
Hi GunnarRacing, thanks for the replay.

I only have a limited quantity of RFDuinos, the ones I need to create a working prototype for a system mockup. Have you seen any reference to others using external antennas?

GunnarRacing

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »
There are many YouTube videos on adding external antennas to bluetooth dongles. Andrew McNeil has a TON of great Wifi antennas. Both would apply to RFduinos. Im not sure how to do the matching, i.e. where to cut and insert the external antenna. Anyone?

VLorz

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
Definitively Andrew McNeil has done a great job, but I don't find his results fit for my particular application, in this case for a professional grade product.

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:04:25 AM »
I would contact RFdigital service directly for professional help with their version of the RFduino for use with an external antenna. RFD22302. I see Mouser has some. The antenna connection is brought out on a pin. I presume some of the impedance matching is done. But really, it would depend on the actual antenna chosen. I am pretty sure it does not autotune. And of course it will need full regulatory testing in your final product.

GunnarRacing

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:28:25 PM »
My interest is strictly non-Comercial, so FCC (or whatever authority applies to your application ) is N/A.

Do you realize the costs are in regulatory compliance are? Think 10s to 100s K USD.

But as Tolson said, RFDIGITAL is a good starting resource.

VLorz

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 04:03:23 AM »
CE directives compliance certification would be around 10K€ for this product, though some laboratoties do give lower prices.