Author Topic: Can I make other BLE stack functions??  (Read 1639 times)

bleTT

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
Can I make other BLE stack functions??
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:58:32 PM »
Hello

I wonder that making functions which are not included in basic programming reference.
I want to make many RFduinos that communicate each other by themselves.
In order to do that my devices have to scan other device's advertisement, connect with them automatically.
Is it possible? If it is possible, how can I do that...?

bsiever

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can I make other BLE stack functions??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 05:33:56 AM »
The hardware does support many other functions, but the RFduino API doesn't provide hooks to access them.

That being said, there are a few options:
  • The chip used in the RFDuino is from Nordic Semiconductor. You can get the Nordic SDKs and use them directly (but lose all access to the RFDuino library).
  • If you are really careful, you can probably use some aspects of the Nordic API in conjunction with RFDuino API. (I.e. make direct system calls. I've done some very small proof-of-concept tests, but I haven't actually gone as far as creating an additional service.)
  • RFDigital has announced a new part (Simblee). Perhaps it will be compatible with, but more flexible than, the RFduino (http://forum.rfduino.com/index.php?topic=1066.msg3904)...Of course neither the device nor the details about it are available yet.

ahelmolt

• RFduino Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 06:43:59 AM »
Hi bsiever,

is it possible to post your proof-of-concept code? I don't know how to make direct systemcalls to the nRF51822...

bsiever

• RFduino Full Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 07:30:20 AM »
ahelmolt,

One of my other posts on the forum included an example of a direct call to Nordic's AES encryption service call.  Take a look at the thread: http://forum.rfduino.com/index.php?topic=1158.msg4261#msg4261.  My first reply ("Reply #1") includes a sketch that does the system call.  Other replies include tips that may be helpful.  In Reply #4 I list some of the reasons I don't think it's worthwhile to expend too much effort on this particular approach. 

Bill

anything