Author Topic: which RFduino library to use?  (Read 1662 times)

Tim

• RFduino Sr. Member
    • View Profile
which RFduino library to use?
« on: April 03, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

We are preparing to ship an RFduino-based product by the fall. We started development more than a year ago using version 1.6.1 of the RFduino library and version 1.5.5 of the Arduino IDE.  I've seen all the release announcements for new versions of the RFduino library (current version is 2.2.4, correct?), and I see that the Arduino IDE is now at version 1.6.3.

The Arduino/RFduino stuff has always worked pretty well, quite stable, so I've never updated the library and IDE.  Would you recommend that we update either (RFduino library or Arduino IDE) to the current versions?  Reasons to do so?  Risks in doing so?  Do RFduinos change (internally) over time such that it's required that the latest library be used?  In other words, if I buy an RFduino today, or in the future, can I upload our sketch that's built with RFduino 1.6.1 using Arduino 1.5.5?

Thanks for any thoughts/recommendations.

Tim

tolson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Thomas Olson Consulting
Re: which RFduino library to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 09:03:57 PM »
If it ain't broke, why fix it! Otherwise, you need to compile with the current stuff and see if anything breaks. We know a couple things are a bit different since the 1.5.5 which depending on what you are doing could have a different result. Currently that would be the 2.2.4 with Arduino 1.6.0 or 1.6.1 (slight difference there).

If you have a .hex file you can can skip the Arduino IDE and just upload it using the RFD boot loader without worry about which version you compiled it from. The bootloader has not changed with any of the releases since the original re-release.

The RFduino's haven't changed internally either. I suspect if they ever do, the RFdigial team will call it out as something slightly different. Maybe MKAY can chime in with details. You should contact RFdigital support directly for answers about long term production support in that regard to be sure.

Tim

• RFduino Sr. Member
    • View Profile
Re: which RFduino library to use?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
A belated thank you, tolson, for your reply.  Much appreciated.  I'll leave all as is.

Best,

Tim